Our Unique Liberal Arts Curriculum
Hartford College is Australia’s first Catholic high school in the liberal arts tradition. It has an engaging and rich curriculum, designed to impart well-rounded knowledge across multiple disciplines and develop critical and independent thinking skills.
The liberal arts tradition has foundations in classical Greek antiquity, with great writers and thinkers such as Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Pythagoras, and Homer. This tradition was carried on and developed through the ages, with Cicero, Virgil, Ovid, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Chaucer, Milton, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Newman, Tolkien, Lewis and more.
Liberal Arts infused with heart and faith
Engaging with this extensive tradition, our liberal arts program includes:
- Studies in the classics and foundational texts of Western civilisation
- Solid mathematics, English, sciences and technology core
- Studies in history directed towards understanding our heritage and modern world
- Studies in philosophy as a basis for the love of truth and a critical mind
- Study of a non-English modern language and culture
- Awakening of the aesthetics through art, literature, music, and drama
Students will leave Hartford College not only with a head full of knowledge, but a heart that will continue to love learning, no matter where they go in life.